White’s Directory 1840
TERRINGTON, a pleasant village 8 miles W.S.W. of Malton, has in its township 649 inhabitants, and 2930 acres, including the hamlets of Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe, the former of which is the seat and property of Wm. Garforth, Esq., and is more than a mile N. of Terrington, but all the rest of the township is the manor and estate of the Earl of Carlisle. The parish also includes Ganthorpe. The Church (All Saints) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £23.18s.6½d, and now at £571. The Rev. C. Hall is patron and incumbent, and has a handsome residence. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The poor have £6.1s.8d. a year, from eight rent charges, left by unknown donors; and the interest of £55, benefaction money, vested with the Earl of Carlisle. The schoolmaster has the interest of £21, left for the education of two poor children.
- Stephen Robert Catley, gent.;
- Mary Cordeux, vict., Black Bull;
- Robert Dobson, schoolr.;
- John Dowker, Esq.;
- Wm. Garforth, Esq., Wiganthorpe Park;
- Thos. Goodall, and John and Wm. Goodrick, cartwgts.;
- Rev. Chas. Hall, Rectory;
- Wm. Hawkins, vict., Bay Horse;
- Richd. Hicks, vict., Cross Keys;
- Henry Wood and Wm. Moor, butchers;
- Wm. Roberts, smith, and Thos. Bickers, Mowthorpe;
- John Dennison, Rose Cottage;
- Geo. Fearby, Hanh. Hardy, Gregory Hessle, Geo. Hicks, Thos. Martin, Robert Moor, John Mortimer, Henry Storr, John Swann, John, Chas. and Wm. Tate, and Elizabeth Teasdale, farmers.
GANTHORPE, a village and township on the west side of Castle Howard Park, 6½ miles W.S.W. of Malton, contains 110 souls, and 700 acres of land, all property of the Earl of Carlisle, who allows the schoolmaster, (Richd. Spruce) £21 a year, for teaching 20 free scholars. The farmers are John Bradshaw, and Ann and Thos. Freer.