Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (1st edition), 1857
TERRINGTON is a township, pleasant village, and parish, distant 7 miles west from Malton, 15 north-east from York, and 5 north from Flaxton railway station, on the York and Scarborough line of railway, in the Bulmer wapentake, Malton union, North Riding, Bulmer rural deanery, Cleveland archdeaconry, and York archbishopric.
The church of All Saints in an ancient stone building in the Norman style; has a tower, nave, aisles, transept, porch, chancel, three bells, brasses, a few ancient monuments, font, old register, and chest. The living is a rectory, worth £580 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Charles Hall, M.A.; the Rev. Charles Hall M.A. is the incumbent.
There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists; also a National school, and a Sunday school is held in the school-room. Here is a stone quarry. The Rectory is a handsome stone building, in the centre of the village. Cleff House is the residence of John Potter, Esq. The acreage of the township is 2,930, including Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe; and population is 641. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and limestone. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor, and chief landholder; the chief crops are corn and potatoes. There are charities of £9 yearly value.
WIGANTHORPE is a hamlet distant 1 mile north. The Hall, the seat and property of William Garforth, Esq., is situated in a well wooded park.
MOWTHORPE is a hamlet of 4 scattered farmhouses, from 1 to 1½ miles distant.
GANTHORPE – a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard Park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton, and 1 mile from its parish church – contained a population, in 1851, of 112; and 700 acres of land, all the property of the Earl of Carlisle. Here is a small school, supported by the above nobleman.
- Carter Misses
- Garforth Wm. esq. Wiganthorpe hall
- Greenwood Mrs
- Hall Rev.Charles, M.A. rectory
- Hardy Misses
- Leef Mr.Thomas
- Potter John, esq. Cliff house
- Agar Uriah, shoemaker
- Arnell Francis, tailor
- Blenkarn William, farmer
- Calvert Robert, shoemaker
- Crosby William, farmer, Wiganthorpe
- *Ellerby John, farmer
- Goodrick Thomas, carpenter
- Goodwill William, shoemaker
- Goodwin William, wheelwright
- Hall John, cowkeeper
- Halliday John, carrier
- Hart Jane (Miss), shopkeeper
- Hassell Gregory, farmer, Primrose hill
- Hawkins William, Bay Horse
- Hicks John, Cross Keys
- Hicks Jonathan, farmer
- Hood Henry, butcher
- Horsley John, Black Bull
- Lassey William, carrier
- Leef Thomas, farmer
- Mason Richard, farm bailiff
- Moor William, butcher
- Moore Robert, farmer
- Mortimer Mary & Sarah (Misses), farmers, Hill top
- Mortimer John, farmer, Flat Top house
- Nash David, shopkeeper
- Oates Henry, butcher
- Race Richard, shopkeeper
- Rhodes John, shopkeeper & carrier
- Robert Joseph, veterinary sugeon
- Roberts Joseph, blacksmith
- Smith Jabez, farmer
- Stewart Ellen (Miss), dressmaker
- Storr Henry, farmer
- Stramper John, horse dealer
- Swann John, farmer
- Swann Tabitha (Mrs.), farmer
- Teasdale Robert, cowkeeper
- Young William, carrier
- King Mr. Frederick
- Bedale John, farmer
- Bradshaw William, farmer
- Freer Thomas, farmer
- Topham Abhm. frmr.Upper Mowthorpe
- Topham Robt. farmer, Lower Mowthorpe
- Letters are received from York, via the Castle Howard post office
POST OFFICE – Robert Dobson, receiver. Letters arrive from York at ½ past 8a.m.; dispatched at 5p.m. Malton is the nearest money order office.
Parochial School, Robert Dobson, master; Miss Ann Dixon, mistress.
CARRIERS TO YORK – John Halliday & John Rhodes, sat
MALTON – William Lassey & William Young, saturday