Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (3rd edition), 1872
TERRINGTON is a township, pleasant village, and parish, 8 miles west from Malton, 15 north-east from York, and 5 north from Barton Hill station, on the York and Scarborough Railway, in the Bulmer wapentake, Malton union and county court district, Easingwold rural deanery, Cleveland archdeaconry, and York diocese.
The church of All Saints is an ancient stone building in the Norman style; it has a tower, nave, aisles, transept, porch, chancel, 3 bells, brasses, a few ancient monuments, and old register chest; it was restored in 1870 at a considerable expense. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a rectory, yearly value £571, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford.
There is a Parochial school, and a Sunday school is also held in the school-room. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. There are charities of £9 yearly value. Here is a stone quarry. The Rectory is a handsome stone building at the east end of the village. Cliff House is the residence and property of Marcus Worsley, esq. Terrington Hall is a good residence, now unoccupied, also the property of Marcus Worsley, esq. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and limestone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The acreage of the township is 2,930, including Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe; gross estimated rental, £4,011; rateable value, £3,577; and the population in 1871 was – of the township 620; and that of the entire parish, 733. The acreage is 3,630.
Parish Clerk, William Goodwill.
WIGANTHORPE is a hamlet, 1 mile north. The Hall is at present vacant, but is situated in a well wooded park.
MOWTHORPE is a hamlet of 3 scattered farmhouses, from 1 to 1½ miles distant.
GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard Park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton, and 1 mile from its parish church. There is a small school here, supported by the Earl of Carlise, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The area is 700 acres; gross estimated rental, £689; rateable value, £615; and the population in 1871 was 113.
POST OFFICE – Mrs Ursula Dobson, receiver. Letters arrive from York at 7.55a.m.; dispatched at 5.25p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hovingham.
Parochial School, Terrington, George Rayner, master; Miss Eliza Bateson, mistress.
School, Ganthorpe, Mrs. Holden, mistress.
MALTON – William Lacy & George Calvert, saturday
YORK – John Holliday & John Rhodes, saturday
- Carter Miss
- Greenwood Mrs
- Hardy Misses
- Leef Thomas
- Wimbush Rev. Samuel, M.A. Rectory
- Worsley Marcus, Cliff house
- Agar Uriah, shoe maker
- Arnell Francis, tailor
- Baldwin Joseph, farmer, Wiganthorpe
- Blenkarn Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
- Calvert George, carrier
- Calvert Robert, shoe maker
- Ellerby John, farmer
- Goodrick Thomas, carpenter
- Goodrick William, wheelwright
- Goodwill -, farmer
- Goodwill William, shoe maker
- Hall John, cowkeeper
- Hart Jane (Mrs.), cowkeeper
- Hawkins James, Bay Horse
- Hessell Gregory, farmer, Primrose Hill
- Hicks Ellen (Miss), Cross Keys
- Hicks Jonathan, farmer
- Holliday John, carrier
- Hood Henry, butcher
- Jackson John, grocer & draper
- Lacy John, tailor & draper
- Lacy William, carrier
- Leef Thomas, farmer
- Marton Thomas, farmer
- Maude Joseph, farmer
- Moore William, butcher
- Mortimer Mary & Sarah (Misses), frmrs
- Mortimer John, farmer, Flat Top house
- Nash David, shopkeeper
- Race Richard, shopkeeper
- Rhodes John, shopkeeper & carrier
- Roberts Joseph, veterinary surgeon
- Stewart Ellen (Mrs.), dress maker
- Storr Mary (Mrs.), farmer
- Swann Tabitha (Mrs.), farmer
- Swann William, farmer
- Tate Richard, basket maker
- Wood Abraham, Black Bull
- Boyes William, farmer
- Bradshaw William, farmer
- Freer Thomas, farmer
- Satterthwaite T.E.S. steward to the Castle Howard estate
- Bickers Thomas, farmer
- Bilton James, farmer
- Kitchen James, farmer