Skip to main content
View of Terrington used as page banner

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (4th edition), 1889

TERRINGTON is a township, pleasant village and parish 8 miles west from Malton, 15 north-east from York, 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains; it consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles and a clock and 3 bells : in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681 : there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d.10th March, 1768 : the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1850 : there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £110, gross yearly value £500, including 316 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford.

Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. There are charities of £9 yearly value. Here is a stone quarry. Cliff House is the residence and property of Mrs. Worsley. Terrington Hall, the seat of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of George Thompson esq. The trustees of the Earl of Carlisle are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and limestone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The acreage of the township is 2,930, including Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe; rateable value, £3,758; and the population in 1881 was 562.

Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.

WIGANTHORPE is a hamlet 1 mile north. The Hall, a mansion of brick with stone dressings, is situated on rising ground, in a well-wooded park of 100 acres; it is the property of William Henry Garforth esq. and occupied by John Broadley Greenwood esq.

MOWTHORPE is a hamlet of 3 scattered farm-houses, from1 to 1½ miles south-east.

Ganthorpe is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £676; and the population in 1881 was 123.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Terrington. – Mrs. Hannah Nash, receiver. Letters arrive from York at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched, 5.25 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Hovingham.
WALL LETTER BOX, Ganthorpe, cleared at 5.40 p.m.

Parochial School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1838, for 90 children; average attendance 68; M. Shackleton Hodgson, master; Miss Hannah Frances Goodwill, assistant mistress.

MALTON—William Lacy & George Calvert, sat
YORK—John Holliday & John Rhodes, sat

Transcribed by Keith Adkins.

©Terrington Arts
This page last updated: 21st December 2021

Back to top of page