Skip to main content
View of Terrington used as page banner

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (5th edition), 1893

TERRINGTON is a township, pleasant village and parish 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d.10th March, 1768: the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £85, gross yearly value £485, including 316 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford.

Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities are of £9 yearly value. In the parish is a stone quarry. Cliff House is the residence and property of Mrs. Worsley. Terrington Hall, the seat of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of George Thompson esq. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and limestone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The acreage of the township is 2,930, including Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe; rateable value, £3,623 and the population in 1891 was 592.

Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.

WIGANTHORPE is a hamlet 1 mile north. The Hall, the seat of Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, is a mansion of brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a well-wooded park of 100 acres.

MOWTH0RPE is a hamlet of 3 scattered farm-houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.

Ganthorpe is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £679; and the population in 1891 was 76.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Terrington. – Mrs. Hannah Nash, receiver. Letters arrive from York at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 6 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Hovingham.
WALL LETTER BOX, Ganthorpe, cleared at 5.40 p.m.
Sundays arrive 9 a.m. summer months; dispatched 5.30 p.m.; sundays arrive 7 a.m. winter months: dispatched 5:30 p.m.

Church of England School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1890 for 90 children; average attendance, 47; Joseph Robinson, master; Miss Hannah Frances Goodwill, assistant mistress.
British Schools (mixed), supported by the Earl of Carlisle, for 80 children; Mr. Baker, master; Miss Newton, mistress.

MALTON—William Lacy & George Calvert, sat
YORK—John Holliday & John Rhodes, sat

Transcribed by Keith Adkins.

©Terrington Arts
This page last updated: 21st December 2021

Back to top of page