Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (6th edition), 1897
TERRINGTON is a parish, township and pleasant village, 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d. 10th March, 1768: the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £363, including 316 acres of glebe, together with certain fixed money payments in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford.
Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities are of £9 yearly value. In the parish is a stone quarry. Cliff Hall is the residence and property of William Henry Arthington Worsley esq. J.P.; Terrington Hall, the residence of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of George Thompson esq. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and sanstone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The acreage of the township is 2,930, including Wigganthorpe and Mowthorpe; rateable value, £3,929, and the population in 1891 was 592 in the township and 592 in the parish.
Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.
Wigganthorpe is a hamlet, 1 mile north. Wigganthorpe Hall, the seat of the Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L. is a mansion of brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a well-wooded park of 100 acres.
Mowthorpe is a hamlet of 3 scattered farm-houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.
GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £684; and the population in 1891 was 76.
Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Terrington. – Robert Nash, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched 6 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Hovingham.
Wall Letter Box, Ganthorpe, cleared at 6.10 p.m.
Sundays arrive 9 a.m. summer months; dispatched 5.30 p.m.; sundays arrive 7 a.m. winter months; dispatched 5:30 p.m.
Church of England School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1890 for 100 children; average attendance, 91; Joseph Robinson, master; Miss Hannah Frances Goodwill, assistant mistress.
Malton—William Lacy & George Calvert, sat
York—John Wood, sat
- Arminson Mrs
- Blakey Mrs
- Bower Arther Wentworth Chivers, The Lodge
- Fitzwilliam Hon. William Henry Wentworth D.L. Wigganthorpe hall
- Henderson Mrs
- Kinnear Thos. Jn. J.P. Terrington hall
- Marton William
- Moore Mrs
- Wimbush Rev. Samuel, M.A. Rectory
- Worsley William Henry Arthington J.P. Cliff hall
- Wright John
- Agar Robert, shoe maker
- Andrews John, veterinary surgeon
- Arnell Francis, cowkeeper
- Beilby Thomas tailor
- Blenkarm Joseph, farmer
- Blenkarm William, farmer
- Calvert George, carrier
- Coatesworth George, temperance rms
- Ellerby David, farmer
- Fletcher William R.S.S. blacksmith
- Goodrick Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
- Goodrick George, wheelwright
- Goodwill George, shoe maker
- Goodwill Richard, tailor
- Goodwill Robert, shopkeeper & farmer
- Goodwill Robert, jun. farmer & butchr
- Goodwill William, joiner & wheelwright
- Harrison William, gardener to William H.A. Worsley esq
- Hawkins James, shopkeeper
- Holliday John, carter
- Lacy John, carrier
- Lacy John, jun. tailor & draper
- Lockey Richard, farmer
- Nash Robert, shopkeeper, Post office
- Reading Room (Robert Nash, sec)
- Rhodes John, shopkeeper
- Stewart Ellen (Mrs.), dress maker
- Swann James, farmer
- Swann John, farmer
- Tate Richard, basket maker
- Wood John, farmer & carrier
- Wormley William, Bay Horse P.H.
- Fraser Mrs. Ganthorpe house
- Freer John, farmer
- Freer Thomas, farmer
- Bickers Robert, farmer
- Bilton James, farmer
- Burgess Henry, farmer