Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (6th edition), 1901
TERRINGTON is a parish, township and pleasant village, 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d. 10th March, 1768, and a marble mural tablet to the Rev. John Forth: the stained east window was erected in 1870 as a memorial to Mrs. Garforth, and another memorial window in 1873 to Miss Jane Hardy: the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £363, including 316 acres of glebe, together with certain fixed money payments in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford.
Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities, consisting chiefly of ancient doles, amount to £8 16s. yearly, and there is also interest accruing from two sums invested in Consols, which amounts to £4 10s. yearly. In the parish is a stone quarry. Cliff Hall is the residence of Miss Mary Egerton. Terrington Hall, the residence of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of George Thompson esq. of Beverley. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and sandstone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The area of the township, including Wigganthorpe and Mowthorpe, is 3,207 acres of land and 16 of water; rateable value, £2,629; the population in 1901 was 421.
Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.
Sexton, John Lister.
Wigganthorpe is a hamlet, 1 mile north. Wigganthorpe Hall, the seat of the Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L. is a mansion of brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a well-wooded park of 100 acres.
Mowthorpe is a hamlet of 3 scattered farm-houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.
GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £412; and the population in 1901 was 51.
Post & M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Terrington. – Robert Nash, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched 6.20 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Ganthorpe, cleared at 6.25 p.m.
Sundays arrive 9 a.m. summer months; dispatched 5.30 p.m.; sundays arrive 7 a.m. winter months; dispatched 5:30 p.m.
Church of England School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1890 for 120 children; average attendance, 60; Joseph Robinson, master; Miss Hannah Frances Goodwill, assistant mistress.
Malton—William Lacy & George Calvert, sat
York—William Fletcher, sat
- Arminson Mrs
- Egerton Miss, Cliff hall
- Fitzwilliam Hon. William Henry Wentworth D.L. Wigganthorpe hall
- Kinnear Thos. Jn. J.P. Terrington hall
- Martin William
- Wimbush Rev. Samuel, M.A. Rectory
- Wright John
- Agar John, shoe maker
- Andrews John, veterinary surgeon
- Arnell Francis, cowkeeper
- Beilby Thomas tailor
- Blenkarm Joseph, cowkeeper
- Blenkarm William, farmer
- Calvert George, carrier
- Coatesworth George, temperance rms
- Cooper John Henry, Bay Horse P.H.
- Ellerby David, farmer
- Fletcher William, blacksmith
- Frank James, farmer
- Goodrick Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
- Goodrick George, wheelwright
- Goodwill Alfred, farmer
- Goodwill Arthur, farmer
- Goodwill Ernest, farmer
- Goodwill George, shoe maker
- Goodwill John, joiner
- Goodwill Richard, tailor
- Goodwill Robert, shopkeeper & Yorkshire ham & bacon curer &c. & frmr
- Goodwill Robert, jun. farmer & butchr
- Harrison William, gardener to Miss M. Egerton
- Hawkins James, cowkeeper
- Lacy John, tailor
- Lacy William, carrier
- Lockey Richard, farmer
- Nash Robert, shopkeeper, Post office
- Reading Room (Robert Nash, sec)
- Rhodes John, shopkeeper
- Swann James, farmer
- Swann John, farmer
- Swann John, farmer, Primrose hill
- Ward Charles, butcher
- Wood John, farmer & carrier
- Fraser Mrs. Ganthorpe house
- Bickers George, farmer
- Freer Thomas, farmer
- Ward Henry, farmer
- Bickers Robert, farmer
- Bilton James, farmer
- Burgess Eliabeth Jane (Mrs.), farmer
- Hutchinson Pickering, farmer