Skip to main content
View of Terrington used as page banner

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (8th edition), 1905

TERRINGTON is a parish, township and pleasant village, 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d.10th March, 1768, and a marble mural tablet to the Rev. John Forth: the stained east window was erected in 1870 as a memorial to Mrs. Garforth, and another memorial window in 1873 to Miss Jane Hardy: the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £400, including 310 acres of glebe, together with certain fixed money payments in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1865 by the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford.

Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities, consisting chiefly of ancient doles, amount to about £13 yearly. In the parish is a stone quarry. Cliff House is the residence Miss Mary Egerton. Terrington Hall, the residence of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of George Thompson esq. of Beverley. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and sandstone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The area of the township, including Wiganthorpe and Mowthorpe, is 3,208 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £3,949; the population in 1901 was 421 in the township and 472 in the parish.

Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.
Sexton, John Lister.

Wigganthorpe is a hamlet, 1 mile north. Wigganthorpe Hall, the seat of the Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L. is a mansion of brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a well-wooded park of 100 acres.

Mowthorpe is a hamlet of 3 scattered farm-houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., E.D., P.P., S.B. & A. & I. Office, Terrington. – Robert Nash, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.50 a.m.; dispatched 6.15 p.m.

GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £647; the population in 1901 was 51.

Wall Letter Box, Ganthorpe, cleared at 6.25 p.m.

Public Elementary School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1890, for 120 children; average attendance, 60; Thomas Kirkbride, master; Miss Hannah Frances Goodwill, assistant mistress.

Carriers to
Malton—William Lacy & George Calvert, sat
York—William Fletcher, sat

Transcribed by Keith Adkins.

©Terrington Arts
This page last updated: 21st December 2021

Back to top of page