Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (10th edition), 1913
TERRINGTON is a parish, township and pleasant village, 4 south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, Malton petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Easingwold, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d.10th March, 1768, and a marble mural tablet to the Rev. John Forth: the stained east window was erected in 1870, as a memorial to Mrs. Garforth, and another memorial window in 1873 to Miss Jane Hardy: the stained glass window in the south aisle was erected in 1910 in memory of the Rev. S. Wimbush M.A. rector 1865-1908 : the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £380, including 266 acres of glebe, together with certain fixed money payments in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. and held since 1908 by the Rev. James Sedgwick Wimbush M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford.
Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A cemetery of 1 acre was formed in 1905 at a cost of £260, and is controlled by a Joint Burial Authority, comprising Terrington Parish Council and Ganthorpe Parish Meeting. The charities, consisting chiefly of ancient doles, amount to about £13 yearly. In the parish is a stone quarry. The Cliff is the residence Miss Mary Egerton. Terrington Hall, the residence of Thomas John Kinnear esq. J.P. is the property of G. Leonard Thompson esq. of York. The Dowager Countess of Carlisle is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and sandstone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The area of the township, including Wigganthorpe and Mowthorpe, is 3,208 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £3,932; the population in 1911 was 428 in the township and 472 in the parish.
Parish Clerk, George Goodrick.
Sexton, John Lister.
Post, M.O., T. & Telephone Call Office (available for calls to places within a limited distance), Terrington. – Robert Nash, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from York at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 6.15 p.m.
WIGGANTHORPE is a hamlet, 1 mile north. Wigganthorpe Hall, the seat of the Hon. William Henry Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L. is a mansion of red brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a park of 200 acres, surrounded by extensive woods. Hovingham 2½ miles distant, on the York and Pickering branch of the North Eastern railway, is the nearest railway station.
MOWTHORPE is a hamlet of three scattered farm-houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.
GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 731 acres; rateable value, £648; the population in 1911 was 44.
Wall Letter Box, Ganthorpe, cleared at 6.30 p.m.; sundays 5:45 p.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), Terrington, erected in 1890, for 120 children; average attendance, 61; Thomas Kirkbride, master; Miss Mary Bird & Miss Ruth Goodwill, assistant mistresses.
Malton—William Lacy, tues. & sat. & George Calvert, sat. only
York—William Fletcher & John Wood, sat
- Arminson Mrs. Hollies
- Egerton Miss, The Cliff
- Fitzwilliam Hon. William Henry Wentworth- M.A., D.L. Wigganthorpe hall; & United Empire club W, Brooks’s club S W & Turf club W, London & Yorkshire club, York
- Kinnear Thomas John M.A., J.P. Terrington hall
- Marton William
- Wimbush Rev. James Sedgwick M.A. (rector), Rectory
- Wimbush Mrs.
- Wright Mrs
- Agar Robert, shoe maker
- Andrews John Packard M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon
- Arnell John & Francis, cowkeepers
- Baker Tom, farmer
- Bennett Arthur, Bay Horse P.H.
- Blenkarn Joseph, farmer
- Blundell George, gamekeeper to the Hon. W.H. Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L.
- Calvert George, carrier
- Ellerby David, farmer
- Fletcher Wm. blacksmith & carrier
- Goodrick Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
- Goodrick Henry, wheelwright
- Goodwill Alfred, farmer
- Goodwill Arthur, farmer
- Goodwill Ernest, farmer
- Goodwill John, joiner
- Goodwill Robert, shopkpr. & farmer
- Goodwill Robert, jun. farmer & butchr
- Hamilton James, farm bailiff to the Hon. W.H. Wentworth-Fitzwilliam D.L.
- Hawkins James, cowkeeper
- Hornby William, farmer
- Kitching William, farmer
- Lacy John, tailor
- Lacy William, carrier
- Oldfield James, cowkeeper & assist. overseer & clerk to the Parish Council
- Reading Room (Thos. Kirkbride, sec)
- Swann John, farmer, Cotterill farm
- Swann John, farmer, Primrose hill
- Terrington & Ganthorpe Cemetery (George Calvert, clerk to the Joint Burial Authority)
- Ward Charles, butcher
- Wood John, farmer & carrier
- Yates David, farmer, West Moor
- Fraser Mrs. Ganthorpe house
- Craven John, farmer
- Freer Thomas, farmer
- Hutchinson Pickering, farmer
- Ward Henry, farmer
- Bickers Robert, farmer
- Burgess Elizabeth Jane (Mrs.), farmer
- Vester William, farmer