Skip to main content
View of Terrington used as page banner

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (14th edition), 1933

TERRINGTON is a parish, township and pleasant village, 4 miles south from Hovingham station on the Thirsk and Malton branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 from Castle Howard and 6 north from Barton Hill stations on the Scarborough branch of the same railway, 8 west from Malton and 15 north-east from York, in the Thirsk and Malton division of the Riding, Bulmer wapentake, petty sessional division, rural district, county court district and rural deanery of Malton, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York.

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, with some interesting Saxon remains, and consists of chancel, nave, transept, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with crocketed pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells: in the church are several brasses, including one to Mrs. Sarah Hitch, widow of the Rev. Robert Hitch S.T.P. dean of York, who died in 1681: there is a mural monument in the tower to the Elstob family, 1728-33, and one in the nave to Mrs. Mary Ellis of Wiganthorpe, d.10th March, 1768, and a marble mural tablet to the Rev. John Forth: the stained east window was erected in 1870, as a memorial to Mrs. Garforth, and another memorial window in 1873 to Miss Jane Hardy; the stained glass window in the south aisle was erected in 1910 in memory of the Rev. S. Wimbush M.A. rector 1865-1908: the church retains its ancient register chest, and was restored in 1870: there are 295 sittings. The register dates from the year 1599. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £453, including 177 acres of glebe, together with certain fixed money payments in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Rev. Samuel Wimbush, M.A. and held since 1908 by the Rev. James Sedgwick Wimbush M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford.

Here are two Methodist chapels. A cemetery of 1 acre was formed in 1905 at a cost of £260, and is controlled by a Joint Burial Authority, comprising Terrington Parish Council and Ganthorpe Parish Meeting. The charities, consisting chiefly of ancient doles, amount to about £40 yearly. In the parish is a stone quarry. Wiganthorpe, the seat of Lord Holden, is a mansion of red brick with stone dressings, standing on rising ground, in a park of about 150 acres, surrounded by extensive woods. The Cliff is the property and residence Sir Alfred George Lascelles B.A., K.C., J.P. Capt. Hon. Geoffrey William Algernon Howard J.P. (Lord Lieut.) is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; the subsoil is clayey and sandstone. The chief crops are corn and potatoes. The area of the township, including Mowthorpe, is 3,208 acres of land and 14 of water; the population of the township in 1921 was 416, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 457.

Post, M.O.T. & T.E.D. Office, Terrington. Letters arrive from York.

MOWTHORPE is a hamlet of three scattered farm houses, from 1 to 1½ miles south-east.

GANTHORPE is a small township in the parish of Terrington, on the west side of Castle Howard park, 6½ miles south-west from Malton and 1 mile east from its parish church. The area is 731 acres; the population in 1921 was 41.

Carriers. - Mrs. E. Hope & Sons, to Malton daily & York thurs. W. Craven, to York sat

Back to top of page

Transcribed by Keith Adkins.

©Terrington Arts
This page last updated: 21st December 2021

Back to top of page